The summer before my freshman year of college (aka last summer) I was so excited for college. Adults would offer me simple yet appreciated advice, but I knew there had to be more. I wanted to know everything I could to prepare for college life. I searched so far into Pinterest, Youtube, and blogs that I thought I knew all that I could know about college life. Well, I was wrong…way wrong.
I attend Florida State University and I’m majoring in Advertising and minoring in Economics. I absolutely love it in Tallahassee, and I’m so grateful for the opportunity to go there, but I must admit, college life is nothing like I expected.
Here are 10 things I learned from experience about life at a university:
- No one dresses up for class. Literally no one. Not even on the first day. I now have a solid collection of athletic clothes and long sleeve T-shirts because that’s college style in a nutshell.
- You’ll walk. A lot. One day I walked at least FOUR miles because I missed the bus and had to walk back and forth between classes. Yikes.
- Early classes are a no-go. I used to be an early riser, but now there’s like a zero percent chance of me making it on time to an 8am class. Luckily, I didn’t have any of those. Blessed.
- You’ll have a new appreciation for your hometown. Surprising, right? That little town you’re absolutely dying to leave really isn’t that bad.
- You’ll look at the world differently. Living on your own isn’t easy. You have to grow up, and because of that, you’ll finally understand some of those things your parents did that drove you crazy.
- You won’t do laundry as often as you think you will. Just trust me on this one.
- You’ll care less about what other people think. Everyone is in the same boat as you – trying to get through school.
- Football games will get you through the week. I didn’t mind learning this lesson. Go Noles.
- Holidays seem more special. You’ll be craving that Thanksgiving dinner more than you ever have before. And you’ll be excited to see your family because you actually miss having them around all the time.
- Your big dreams might change. I thought I knew exactly how my life would play out…wrong. Totally wrong. But it’s okay, everything happens for a reason!
College is a crazy time, but it is filled with so much fun, learning and personal growth! These are just some surprising things I learned in my first year of college. Comment below if you’ve had any college experiences like this!